Monday, May 2, 2011

i LOVE gay people

*gasp*  Did she just say that, or title a blog post with that?

I did.

You want to know why?  Because, despite the two verses in the Bible that some people believe refer to homsexuality there are countless others that tell us to love all people.  It doesn't say love heterosexual people, it doesn't say love people of our own race, it doesn't say love those people who think like us, it says love all people.

It says "love your neighbor as yourself"  Leviticus 19:18, Matthew 19:19. Matthew 22:39, Mark 12:31, Luke 10:27, Romans 13:9, Galations 5:14, James 2:8

It says "God is love"  1 John 4:8

It has a a passage of verses just about love, "4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."  1 Corinthians 4-7

It boggles my mind that all the verses about loving each other get thrown out the window when the topic of homosexuality comes up.  "Oh, that's wrong; God says so."  Really, because I think God says judging people is wrong too.

So yes, I truly do love gay people.  I'm not threatened by them, I'm not scared of them, I'm not scared to have them around my children, and I'm not ashamed to be friends or family with them.  In fact, just saying them makes me feel bad; like they are something different than myself.  In fact, they are not.  They  are human beings who deserve happiness, love and acceptance just like any and all of us.

What would happen if *gasp* one of my children told me later in life that they are gay?  I can tell you- absolutely nothing would happen any different than before they told me.  The would still be the same child I kissed good night, walked the floor with and stood up for when bullied.  My ultimate goal as a mother is to raise my children to love the Lord and all people, regardless of race, sexual preference, special needs, etc.  The best and only way to do this is to lead by example.

So, here I am publicly telling my children and the world that I love all people and will raise them to do the same.  The circle of hate needs to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment