Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Make your own: Brownie Mix


This makes a lot.  I only made half the amount the first time to make sure I liked them well enough to mix 15 cups of stuff at once; I did.

It's hard to find a good recipe for homemade brownies when boxed brownie mixes are easy, fairly inexpensive and just... well, good.  But, they are also made with enriched, bleached flour and partially hydrogenated soybean oil; no thanks.
These brownies are a really close substitute for the boxed brownies.  They are moist and fudgey with a crunchy top.  I make our brownie mix with whole wheat pastry flour and raw sugar so I feel somewhat better about eating the entire pan myself,  feeding them to my family.


In your largest bowl, mix:

  • 6 cups flour (you can use any kind you'd like, I used freshly milled soft white wheat)
  • 8 cups sugar
  • 4 tsp. baking soda
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 1 8 oz. container unsweetened cocoa powder


Mix it well to really incorporate the baking powder and cocoa powder evenly.  If you use all purpose flour you could store this in your cabinet or pantry in a ziploc bag or plastic storage container; just attach a piece of paper to it with the baking instructions.  I store ours in the freezer because the freshly milled flour will turn rancid at room temperature.  This time I divided up the mix into individual bags because I was avoiding the house cleaning before my mom arrives to save time later.  This large recipe made 7 batches of brownie mix.


To make the brownies, mix:

  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup oil or melted butter
  • 2 cups brownie mix
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
Preheat oven to 350, grease an 8" pan.  Your mix will probably be quite thick, spread it into pan and bake 30-35 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Johnson,

    I work with your Husband at Scott, i have been seeing your Make your own, blog and i think it is absolutly wonderful! Just thought i'd share.

    Thanks,
    SGT Eckstein

    ReplyDelete